Dave Richards, Chairman
Tom Prosek, Trustee
Keith Hanson, Gen. Mgr./Treasurer
Steve McIntosh, Operations Manager
Kasey Carpenter, System Operator
Bryauna Alderin, Office Manager/Clerk
Kate McGuinness, Trustee – Absent
The August 18th, 2020 Board of Trustees meeting was held electronically due to the current Utah State requirements for social distancing due to the COVID 19 pandemic.
The Salt Lake County Service Area #3 Board of Trustees meeting was called to order by Chairman Richards at 12:02 pm.
MEETING MINUTES APPROVAL –Trustee Prosek mentioned a misspelling correction, Ms. Alderin corrected spelling error. Prosek motioned to approve the minutes from July 21st, 2020 meeting. Chairman Richards seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
SYSTEMS OPERATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT-
Chickadee utility project review- Mr. Hanson met with the Nick Graue an engineer from Aqua Engineering 10 days ago to red line plans with new water and sewer line placements. These plans, and a letter from the engineer were submitted to the Division of Drinking Water August 14th as required for an approved operating permit. The new sewer line is in service but we still need to fabricate the final fittings for manholes 128 and 128.1. Mr. Hanson discussed that the old lower sewer lines were TV’d by Cottonwood Improvement District to be sure there is no significant infiltration or issues in the “to be abandoned line”. The deep abandoned portions of Manholes 128 and 128.1 were plugged and filled up to the new grade and new concrete inverts were poured in the manholes. Mr. Hanson stated all sewer work was done while the sewer was live. Mr. Hanson, Ms. Alderin, Nima Mahak and Jake Treadwell from Snowbird have started working on the final project cost sharing worksheet. Mr. Hanson stated that the numbers so far look in line with projected project costs. All new sewer lines have been TV’d and look good. Revegetation is down over disturbed areas and growing in nicely.
8/11/2020 Main sewer line plug- Mr. Hanson discussed the Sewer line plugging on August 11th 2020. Mr. Hanson received a phone call from Shawn from UDOT stating that the grading subcontractor for Granite construction (Staker?) doing road construction at the mouth of the canyon had hit a sewer manhole and filled the manhole and a portion of the line below it with dirt and rocks. Mr. Hanson made notifications to the Health Department, Salt Lake City Public utilities and Metro Water plant before going to the site. Mr. Hanson stated the plug was below where the Service Area’s sewer line ends and was in the portion of the line that is owned by Cottonwood Improvement District. Mr. Hanson assisted Cottonwood in clean up and repair efforts. Mr. Hanson stated it took 4 hours, 3 flusher trucks, a water truck and a rodder truck to get the line cleared. The equipment operator claimed the sewer line was not blue staked (Manhole was blue staked by Cottonwood Improvement District). Mr. Hanson stated the the sewage backed into the excavation and was contained, no sewage made it to the water way. See photos attached to minutes.
Mid Gad water system corrective action plan- Mr. Hanson stated that Snowbird crews have exposed the line that supplies water from the Mid Gad spring to the water tanks. The water line elevation will be changed slightly to improve water flow to the tanks. Mr. Carpenter and Mr. Rugg have started the process of raising the lid access hatches and new shoe box lids. Mr. Hanson stated one issue is the 12,000-gallon fiberglass tank has a 24” manway buried below grade; Mr. Hanson is having issues finding the appropriate riser. He is working with the tank company and the local supplier to come up with a reasonable solution.
Town of Alta Bay City project- The Bay City pump project notification was submitted to the Division of Drinking Water for approval and Mr. Hanson received verbal approval over the phone from the DDW Engineering Section. Mr. Hanson will wait until written approval arrives before ordering the equipment. Some of the equipment has long lead times for delivery. 6 weeks for the Panel and VFD and 4 weeks for the new pump. We plan to install the equipment in late September / early October. The goal is to have the equipment up and running by the start of ski season.
Mr. Hanson gave a brief update of the following:
· Cottonwood Improvement District is currently performing the annual TV camera and cleaning work on the main canyon sewer lines. The line from the Alta Cat shop to Snowbird Entry 1 has been completed. A little more TV work needs to be completed in the Sugarplum village.
· Working on a plan for a debris diversion system for the sewer line in manhole 110 (Gad Valley parking lot west of Creekside lodge) due to continued accumulation of unwanted debris (paper towels & flushable wipes).
· Granite Construction Entry 1 road construction, The Service Area has 5 manholes below Entry 1 that are potentially affected by the construction. Mr. Macintosh is been working with them to make sure their work complies with our requirements. So far, they have not done any damage to our line or manholes.
· Replacing Media in Filter A at Alta. ET technologies came up and tested media from Filter A to see if it would pass the TCLP test (Leachability test). This is to determine if the filter media is or is not a hazardous waste. Routine water testing showed that the media from Filter A was spent (no longer reducing the Sb levels in the water). The new media has been ordered.
· New sewer connection at Powder Ridge by Hess Construction.
· Sugarplum village units EFG rebuild meeting regarding waterlines, Mr. Hanson has asked them to attach new lines to the main verses the current 35-year-old copper lines.
· A new water meter was installed in Sugarplum Townhomes unit #5 and a new remote is to be installed shortly. Continued Water Meter improvement project – Steve McIntosh continues working to replace/repair water meters around the sugarplum village. Snowbird hotel water meters will also be replaced during this project.
· Bypass road mag meter is having power connection issues. Will trouble shoot and repair.
· The Water Treatment Plant has been shut down since mid-April. Mr. Carpenter has been working to making sure everything is functional so it can be ready to go back on line when the Peruvian spring can no longer support water needs.
· A couple of small issues need to be addressed with the W.D.T treatment plant. A portion of the chemical feed system for the chlorine vacuum regulator needs replacement as it is having intermittent issues with the chlorine feed. The backwash tank 3 hp reclaim pump is having issues needs replacement, Mr. Hanson has asked for quotes for a replacement pump.
· A new water heater was installed in the office. We’ve replaced the instant on water heater with a conventional 30-gallon water heater.
· Mr. Hanson and Ms. Alderin have begun the process of archiving old records to be transferred to the Utah State Archive facility. This will open up needed storage space.
· RWAU Conference October in person attendance. Mr. Hanson not sure if SA3 employees will attend. Would like to get Mr. Carpenter Collection System Operator 2 certified. Mr. Hanson will decide by the next board meeting.
· Kinderfanger film shoot was successful. SA3 received a $7000.00 site fee.
· Social Media accounts and Government entity Auditor alert draft. Attached to minutes for review.
· Accountant Steve Rowley has started a Request for Proposals for SA3 for Auditing service for 2021. The Board will be presented with a draft at the September Board meeting.
2021 Preliminary Budgeting process- The 2021 Budgeting process will start with a preliminary budget presentation at the September 15th 2020 Board meeting and the Board will review it monthly until Final approval at the December Board meeting.
COVID 19 Update- Mr. Hanson discussed the ongoing precautions SA3 is taking. Take employee and visitor temperatures daily upon arrival, masks, social distancing and continuing to work split schedules as best we can with the work load. SA3 will continue with these procedures until CDC or State of Utah guidelines change.
TREASURER’S REPORT Mr. Hanson reviewed with the Board of Trustees, the Balance Sheet Previous Year Comparison report through July 31st, 2020. The Profit and Loss Budget vs. Actual January 1st through July 31st, 2020. These reports are emailed to members of the board, prior to this board meeting for their review. Financial reports are prepared by Salt Lake County Service Area #3. Copies of financials are attached to the minutes.
APPROVAL OF BILLS PAID Chairman Richards moved that the bills listed on the check detail dated July 17th through August 14th 2020 as presented by Mr. Hanson hereby be authorized and ratified to be paid by the office manager. Trustee Prosek motioned to approve. Chairman Richards seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Copies of the approved bills are attached to the minutes.
ADJOURNMENT There being no further business to be discussed, Chairman Richards motioned to adjourn the meeting at 12:59 pm.
Salt Lake County Service Area #3-Snowbird